Current Career Opportunities
The National Institute for Bioprocessing Research and Training (NIBRT) is a global centre of excellence for training and research in biopharmaceutical manufacturing. NIBRT is located in a world-class facility in County Dublin, Ireland. This facility is purpose-built to closely replicate a modern bioprocessing plant with state-of the art equipment and enables NIBRT to offer the highest quality training and research solutions.
For more information and insight in to working at NIBRT, please visit our website www.nibrt.ie
The Systems Biology and Data Analytics Group, headed by Dr. Colin Clarke, focuses on two major avenues of research:
- Improving bioprocess monitoring, performance, automation, and yields through Machine Learning (ML) techniques and Big Data analytics, incorporating large historical data sets as well as real-time sensor data
- Furthering our understanding of CHO (Chinese Hamster ovary) cell biology through the application of multi-omics techniques, with a particular focus on next-generation sequencing
We are looking for a Software Developer interested in multivariate statistics, Machine Learning (ML) algorithms, and Big Data analytics to work on the development of microservices architecture and analysis software for Siemens’ MindSphere operating system, specifically for the biopharmaceutical industry. MindSphere is an open-source, cloud-based platform developed for the Internet of Things (IoT), hosted on Azure and AWS.
NIBRT has partnered with Siemens to deliver cutting-edge software for analysis and predictive modelling of bioprocess data, as well as automated replication and optimisation of individual product batches or entire production lines. This NIBRT-Siemens collaboration will develop the analysis software in question and test it with biopharmaceutical industry partners.
- Manage a specific programme of research under the leadership of the Principal Investigator and/or Project Manager and disseminate the outcomes of this research at project meetings through written reports for internal and external stakeholders
- Liaise with all project partners/stakeholders and relevant industries where necessary
- Engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as determined by the Principal Investigator and/or Project Manager
- Prepare and present progress reports and research findings to colleagues for review purposes
- Responsible for undertaking all assigned programming tasks including maintaining coherent and detailed code documentation
- To learn one or more new programming languages, meet with the MindSphere development team to help integrate the software with the OS
- Participate fully in the wider research and scholarly activities of the Institute within the remit and restrictions of the appointed position
- Carry out any other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager
- Comply with all NIBRT policies and regulations, including those in relation to Research Ethics and Health and Safety
- Strong programming skills in Java, C, C++, or another major JVM and/or C-family language
- Prior experience in exploratory data analysis and predictive modelling
- Experience with distributed computing and file systems (Apache Hadoop and Spark)
- Commitment to research excellence, clean coding techniques
- Demonstrable ability to adapt to change, including but not limited to: quickly learning new programming languages and analysis techniques, responding to and addressing client concerns
- Effective note-keeping, report writing, knowledge transfer and communication skills with the ability to present complex information effectively to a range of audiences
- Self-motivated with the ability to work collaboratively and as part of a team and to stick to an agreed work plan
- A Ph.D. in computer science, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, or a relevant, related discipline from an approved degree-awarding institution
- Interpretation of Raman and infrared spectroscopy, mass spectrometer data
- Experience implementing ML algorithms
- Experience writing commercial software in Java
- Experience within the biopharmaceutical industry or a demonstrable understanding of biomanufacturing processes; statistical analysis of bioprocessing data
- Prior experience with microservices architectures, platforms-as-a-service (PaaS)
- Experience using Java Spring and other dependency-injection frameworks
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms like Azure, Amazon Web Services
- Experience of working in multidisciplinary research teams
- Project administration skills
- Experience working within Siemens’ MindSphere OS
- Consistent code commenting and documentation (Javadoc), experience with logging frameworks (SLF4J / Apache Commons Logging) and version control (git)
Terms and Conditions of Employment
- This is a two year fixed term contract of employment
- Salary commensurate on experience
- You must be eligible to work in Ireland to apply for this position
How to Apply:
To apply for this position please forward your CV, cover letter and the names and contact details of three referees in a combined PDF document to the NIBRT HR team at email@example.com. Please include your name and the position for which you are applying – Software Developer Ref: CC/20181/3- in the subject line. Please note that the successful candidate may be required to supply parchments of degrees/qualifications.
For more information about the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Download Software Developer
NIBRT is an equal opportunities employer.
The purpose of this role is to develop and deliver training content in the bioprocessing area to a wide variety of clients as a member of the NIBRT Training team supporting the Training Director and Training Manager across all relevant areas.
Working in NIBRT:
NIBRT is a centre of excellence for bioprocessing research and training with state-of-the-art manufacturing and laboratory facilities. Our dynamic and highly-skilled training team strives for excellence in all that it does and achieves this through a culture of mutual support, collaborative learning and dedication. Specific opportunities for professional growth include:
- Unrivalled and broad-ranging experience in all aspects of the production, analysis and regulation of the most advanced therapies on the market, including cGxP quality management, inspections and audits.
- Upskilling through attendance of international conferences, training courses and further education.
- Development of valuable transferrable skills such as oral and written communication, public speaking, project management and customer service.
Employees also enjoy additional benefits such as generous annual leave, flexi time working arrangements, support for further education, permanent health insurance and pension benefits.
Duties of the Bioprocessing trainer will include:
- Development and delivery of training material including lectures and practical content in upstream, downstream, fill finish and support areas.
- Day to day operation of pilot production plant facilities and laboratory equipment in NIBRT’s pilot production training facility.
- Implementation and maintenance of documentation for the NIBRT facility and business activities (SOPs, production batch records, project proposals and technical reports).
- Design, and delivery of customised training materials to specific corporate clients (on their site, when required).
- Measurement of training effectiveness through the use of a variety of assessment tools.
- Self-directed learning ensure current knowledge of bioprocessing and an awareness of industry trends and advances.
- Ensuring safe operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment and liaising with facilities team at NIBRT to resolve problems.
- Supporting NIBRT in the design and delivery of new and expanded methods of training (e.g. eLearning, blended learning etc.) and work with NIBRT partners to ensure NIBRT fulfill its obligations to same.
- Cover work for colleagues assigned to other projects, annual leave or other duties.
- Hosting tours of NIBRT pilot production plant and attend business development meetings with prospective clients.
- Mentoring junior/new trainers and support their induction into the training department
- Represent the training department at company events (which may on occasion be during evenings or weekends).
- Any other reasonable duties as may be required from time to time by your manager.
- Applicants will be expected to hold a PhD/MSc in related scientific field (Life Science/Biopharmaceutical Processing/Engineering) OR a BSc in a related scientific field combined with relevant (bio) pharmaceutical industry experience.
- Detailed practical knowledge of protein purification operations is essential for this role.
- The successful trainer will be a motivated self-starter, capable of working under their own initiative as part of a busy and dynamic training team.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills are essential for this role.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position please forward your CV, cover letter and the names and contact details of two referees in a combined PDF document to the NIBRT HR team at email@example.com on or before Friday 16th November at the close of business. Please include your name and the position for which you are applying plus ref BPTDWS – 012018 in the subject line. Please note that the successful candidate may be required to supply parchments of degrees/qualifications/work permits
Download Bioprocessing Downstream Trainer