Publication of NIBRT’s Annual Report 2022
DUBLIN, IRELAND, January 31st 2023 – The National Institute for Bioprocessing Research and Training (NIBRT) today published its Annual Report for 2022 which highlights a 24% growth in revenue and the strongest financial performance of the institute to date.
The success of the Irish biopharma industry is well documented, with biopharma firmly established as a key pillar of the Irish economy. There are 84,000 highly skilled people directly and indirectly employed in the sector and the expectation is that this will increase by up to 10,000 jobs over the next 5 years. 2022 saw continued strong performance of the sector with significant new investments announced with IDA Ireland including Pfizer, Lilly, MSD, Horizon and Janssen.
NIBRT continued its strong support of the sector throughout 2022 with some of the key achievements in the year including:
- 24% growth in overall revenue, underpinning the highest research and training activity levels in the Institute’s history.
- 77% increase in revenue from collaborative research activity.
- 29% growth in training and education revenue, resulting in over 31,000 learning days delivered to nearly 4,500 trainees and students.
- A further strengthening of NIBRT’s global partner programme with partners in the US, Canada, South Korea, China and Australia.
- Strong progress in advanced therapies with NIBRT’s new extension scheduled to open in Q2 2023, further development of the advanced therapies training curriculum, recruitment of additional research staff and new collaborations with industry announced.
Announcing the Annual Report NIBRT Chairperson, Julie O’Neill stated “Looking back on the year just gone, as we emerged from the lingering effects of the pandemic and faced into shifting geopolitical and economic headwinds, 2022 was a year not without its challenges. However, the biopharma sector has continued to grow and NIBRT as an Institute has gone from strength-to-strength. I am delighted to report that 2022 saw the organisation out-perform the targets set in our current five-year business plan and achieve record revenues.”
NIBRT CEO, Darrin Morrissey, commented “NIBRT had a highly successful year in 2022 delivering our world-leading training and research services to clients nationally and internationally. I would like to thank NIBRT’s Board and staff for their continued hard work, innovation and dedication to NIBRT’s training and research mission.”
As the Institute looks forward to the opportunities ahead, NIBRT has identified a number of calls to action to continue to support the future growth of the sector in Ireland including the development of a national life sciences strategy.
The NIBRT 2022 Annual Report can be downloaded here.
The National Institute for Bioprocessing Research and Training (NIBRT) is a global centre of excellence for training and research in biopharmaceutical manufacturing. NIBRT is located in a world class facility in Dublin, Ireland. This facility is purpose built to closely replicate a modern bioprocessing plant with state-of-the-art equipment and enables NIBRT to offer the highest quality training and research solutions. NIBRT’s mission is to support the growth and development of all aspects of the biopharmaceutical manufacturing industry.
For more information go to www.nibrt.ie
Emer Norton, NIBRT Marketing and Communications Manager, + 353 1 21500, email@example.com