NIBRT appoints Darrin Morrissey as new CEO
DUBLIN, IRELAND, May 26th 2020 – The National Institute for Bioprocessing Research and Training (NIBRT) has announced the appointment of Darrin Morrissey as its new CEO, replacing Dominic Carolan on the occasion of his retirement.
Dominic Carolan, an internationally acknowledged leader of the life sciences manufacturing industry who established Genzyme’s manufacturing presence in Ireland, is stepping down after a five year term as NIBRT CEO. Since taking up the role in 2015, Carolan and his team have further established NIBRT as the global standard for best practice in biopharma research and training.
NIBRT is also delighted to announce, Dr Darrin Morrissey as incoming CEO of the Institute. Dr Morrissey previously held the CEO role with the Heath Research Board. Darrin, who is a Microbiologist by training with a PhD in Cancer Research from University College Cork, has extensive experience in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries having held numerous international and national leadership roles, across areas of commercial, research and manufacturing with industry leading companies such as GSK and Sanofi. Immediately prior to joining the HRB, Darrin was the Director of Programmes and Investments with Science Foundation Ireland.
The biopharma industry in Ireland continues to show strong growth with significant investments announced throughout recent years. NIBRT and its partners support these investments by providing world-class training and research on all aspects of biopharma manufacturing. Some of the key achievements of NIBRT in the past year include:
- Training 4,700 people on all aspects of biopharma manufacturing
- Expansion of the Global Partner Programme with partners in Jefferson Institute of Bioprocessing, Philadelphia and University of Technology, Sydney, Australia
- The launch of the NIBRT Online Academy https://noa.nibrt.ie
- Progressing the Cell and Gene Forum Therapy (CGT), publishing a White Paper, commencing CGT training and finalising basis of design studies with PM Group
- Further development of the Biopharma 4.0 Alliance with Boston Consulting Group
- Expansion of research activities and appointment of Prof Liz Topp as Chief Scientific Officer (CSO)
- Winning Pharma Project of the Year with Siemens at Irish Pharma Awards and Staff Upskilling Award with Takeda at Invest in Ireland Awards
You can read the full press release here.